8 Traits of the Leader-Mentor
These 8 traits have also been sourced from a range of authors, locally and internationally. The traits speak volumes of the attributes core to a good leader and mirror the qualities and capabilities needed in an effective mentor. Use these traits – as identified by the experts – as a measure of your qualities, capabilities and skills as a leader and as a mentor.
- Motivates and inspires people
- Builds positive, respectful relationships
- Ability to listen
- Objectivity and fairness
- Ability and willingness to communicate what you know
- Genuine interest in and desire to support others in their development
And here are some further traits suggested by Forbes.com:
- They are clear about the challenges ahead, but they inspire faith, hope and collaboration, not fear.
- They never use recrimination or demeaning, belittling language
- Their self-esteem is strong enough to take constructive criticism and critique, and in fact, they welcome it.
- They surround themselves with diversity, truth and openness
- They operate at all times with integrity, truthfulness and transparency, even when that is difficult to do.
- A leader instils confidence and ‘followership’ by having a clear vision, showing empathy and being a strong mentor and coach